Host: Danny Koffman
CareTalker uniquely addresses the difficult issues of serious illness and Home CareGiving. This role may be an inescapable reality for us all and one that crosses every line (politically, culturally, and economically) for people of all ages. Host Danny Koffman says, “I discovered that humor was the very best tool to employ in the face of the unbelievably difficult daily tasks of CareGiving to my terminally ill wife . . . in fact, this light-hearted spirit and approach made the impossible, possible!” Using his unique style of humor, Danny Koffman’s goal is to start the conversation about how serious illness and Home Caregiving impacts the entire family. Join CareTalker each week for a light-hearted look at some common issues and simple changes that can produce positive often immediate results . . . with a Smile!
When we race around during our busy days . . . we miss so much. But, when we slow down and take a breath and address the moment with a caring heart . . . that moment “shines”!
It is my hope that listeners may hear themselves reflected in my personal story and find comfort, good suggestions and solid tips … Read more about this episode...
Previous EpisodesView All Past Episodes of CareTalker
CareTalker with Danny Koffman
Danny Koffman is a creative communicator. Throughout his more than 45 year career, he has communicated as a graphic, commercial and fine artist, designer and marketer of consumer products, community activist and, as the creator of the Simple Pleasures for Special Seniors® series of books, designed specifically for people with memory loss and as a passionate radio show host focusing on broad issues facing people with serious illnesses and their overwhelmed Home CareGivers . . . always adding his signature style of humor.
Born in 1950 in Los Angeles, Danny focused first on industrial design and architecture, winning a Gold Medal for his building designs at the California State Fair in 1966 and serving as a draftsman on the Mariner Mars Project – all before completing high school. From 1970 to 1990 he applied his bold and colorful artistic style to over 1000 internationally marketed consumer products for his company, Bibi Products, Incorporated.
In 1990 he established Bottomline Communications, an international advertising agency in Monterey, California, working with international corporations, injecting unexpected humorous twists into otherwise traditional marketing and advertising campaigns. He opened his first Art Gallery in Monterey, California in 1999 and his second in 2006 after relocating to Camano Island in Washington State.
Giving back to the community both locally and internationally has always been an integral part of Koffman’s life. To that end, he designed the Flag of Peace and Freedom, painted for peace with an African elephant, launched the Golden Rule Activist project and has spearheaded various other community programs.
The experience of witnessing the progression of his father’s dementia and the toll it extracted on his mother who was the primary CareGiver, and his entire family registered deeply in his heart and mind. Koffman says, “I wanted to do something that would have a positive effect on other families going through this same difficult experience.” The Simple Pleasures for Special Seniors© and “Life In The US MILITARY” books are the realization of that goal.
For 25 years, he and his wife Sandy have been primary CareGivers to Sandy’s mother who suffers from chronic pain and dementia.
Early in 2012, Sandy was diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer. Danny became her 24/7 CareGiver. Sandy passed away in August of 2012. It was this profound personal experience, caring for Sandy, his wife of 34 years, that reignited his passion for the subject.
Danny Koffman, the CareTalker, brings a lifetime of unique, powerful and creative skills to the subjects of serious illness and home caregiving and wraps it in his own special style of articulate and light-hearted humor . . . he calls it “CareGiving with a Smile!”
- CareTalker - "CARE INTO ACTION” August 19, 2013
- CareTalker - "FOREVER CHANGED” August 12, 2013
- CareTalker - "THAT'S NICE!” August 5, 2013
- CareTalker - "WHATEVER IT TAKES” July 29, 2013
- CareTalker - "NO COMPROMISE” July 22, 2013
- CareTalker - "RxRAY VISION” July 15, 2013
- CareTalker - "CELEBRATING MOMENTS” July 8, 2013
- CareTalker - "PROCEED WITH CAUTION” July 1, 2013
- CareTalker - "CAREGIVING TSUNAMI” June 24, 2013
- CareTalker - "NOW, I’M USING A CANE!” June 17, 2013
- CareTalker - "SEARCHING FOR NORMALCY” June 10, 2013
- CareTalker - "CAREGIVING CHANGES US” June 3, 2013
- CareTalker - "BE OF STOUT HEART” May 27, 2013
- CareTalker - "NOT PRETTY . . . NOT EASY” May 20, 2013
- CareTalker - "IT’S THE LITTLE THINGS” May 13, 2013
- CareTalker - "SOMEONE TO TALK TO” May 6, 2013
- CareTalker - "DIFFUSING STRESS” April 29, 2013
- CareTalker - "WE CAN DO BETTER” April 22, 2013
- CareTalker - "MACGYVER CAREGIVING” April 15, 2013
- CareTalker - "CAREGIVER’S INNER VOICE” April 8, 2013
- CareTalker - "MIRACLES DO HAPPEN” April 1, 2013
- CareTalker - THE SPIRIT OF CAREGIVING” March 25, 2013
- CareTalker - "CAREGIVING WITH A TWIST” March 18, 2013
- CareTalker - "SAIL ON!” March 11, 2013
- CareTalker - "ATTITUDE WITH ALTITUDE” March 4, 2013
- CareTalker - "CALL TO ACTION” February 25, 2013
- CareTalker - "CAREGIVING WITH A SMILE” February 18, 2013
- CareTalker - "RETROFIT FOR CAREGIVING” February 11, 2013
- CareTalker - "DEJA VU” February 4, 2013
- CareTalker - "THIS WAS A GOOD DAY” January 27, 2013
- CareTalker - "HAPPIER CAREGIVING” January 21, 2013
- CareTalker - CAREGIVER’S LASAGNA” January 14, 2013
- CareTalker - "CAREGIVER’S CHOICES” January 7, 2013
- CareTalker - "FOLKS DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY” December 31, 2012
- CareTalker - "LETTER TO MY WIFE” December 24, 2012
- CareTalker - "ME CAREGIVER” December 17, 2012
- CareTalker - "POST CAREGIVING” December 10, 2012
- CareTalker - "CAREGIVING CHAPTERS” December 3, 2012
- CareTalker - "REALLY . . . HOW ARE YOU?" November 26, 2012
- CareTalker - "NEW TRADITIONS” November 19, 2012
- CareTalker - "STAY A STEP AHEAD” November 12, 2012
- CareTalker - "CAREGIVER’S MANY HATS” November 5, 2012
- CareTalker - "FAMILY MEETING” October 29, 2012
- CareTalker - "THINGS CHANGE!” October 22, 2012