Host: Jill Skeem
Hippocrates said: “Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”. Jill, a certified Macrobiotic Counselor & Chef and author of the award-winning cookbook, Comfort Food Gets a Vegan Makeover, will help listeners navigate through the maze of food trends and fad diets to help them discover what healthy foods are and how they truly can restore one’s health. She’ll share the basics of course, but you’ll also hear some fabulous tips for enhancing flavor to make your meals the celebration they should be, while you Eat Well & Stay Healthy!
Do you get frustrated when your cravings win out? Jill will tell you what your cravings for salt, sugar, chocolate, crunchy & sour indicate and how to satisfy them in a healthy way.
Previous EpisodesView All Past Episodes of Eating Well And Staying Healthy
Eating Well And Staying Healthy
Jill’s career started as a paralegal. On and off for 18 years, she worked for law firms and mega corporations like Reebok and T.G.I. Friday’s. In 2001, on a cold night in Boston she agreed to attend a lecture entitled, “Intro to Asian Diagnosis” taught by Macrobiotic Counselor Warren Kramer.
Something clicked that night for Jill and changed her world. She decided to become macrobiotic and immediately started studying food, its effects on the body and even how to cook! Along the way, she came across the Strengthening Health Institute in Philadelphia, PA founded by Denny Waxman. For a few months she commuted between Boston and Philadelphia, studying, learning and becoming more engrained with the macrobiotic lifestyle.
Waxman recognized her keen interest and offered Jill a position as his personal assistant. She would become involved with course administration, student coordination and scribing for Denny’s consultations. Part of her duties included interacting with incoming students to get them acquainted with the programs. One student, attending somewhat reluctantly, from Idaho would be Jill’s future husband. After graduating, she packed everything up and left the East Coast for Idaho. Now married for 10 years, Jill and her husband are fighting the good fight for healthy eating.
Being potato, meat and dairy country, Idaho was not ideal for macrobiotics, so Jill started to counsel people on healthier eating and taught cooking classes. She became a contributing writer for the local paper and reviewed reporters’ lunches for the healthiest lunch in the popular Eat Cheap Series, along with writing for other local publications. She was featured in the local paper for working with its managing editor in helping him to lose 60 pounds and change his life. She appears regularly on local and regional TV shows discussing healthy eating and lifestyles and demonstrating healthy, easy and delicious recipes. She has lectured to many companies and organizations and is very active in her Rotary Club.
No stranger to radio, Jill co-hosted a morning drive talk-radio show, Top Story with Kelly Klaas, for 6 years, on a Fox news affiliate station, covering local, state and national issues and politics.
She authored the award-winning cookbook, Comfort Food Gets a Vegan Makeover, which was published in 2013.
Jill has a B.A. from The Ohio State University, a paralegal certificate from The Institute for Paralegal Training in Philadelphia, PA and a Certificate by the Strengthening Health Institute in Philadelphia, PA as a Certified Macrobiotic Health Counselor, Educator & Chef.
- Eating Well and Staying Healthy – Cravings: What do they mean and how to combat them? March 28, 2016
- Eating Well and Staying Healthy – How to Start a Vegetable Garden March 14, 2016
- Eating Well & Staying Healthy – Prevent and reverse heart disease & diabetes with Nelson Campbell February 22, 2016
- Eating Well And Staying Healthy – How to Get Your Child To Eat Healthier Food! February 9, 2016
- Eating Well and Staying Healthy – Exercise: the Recipe for a Healthy Life! January 25, 2016
- Eating Well and Staying Healthy – How to FINALLY succeed at your New Year’s Resolutions! January 11, 2016
- Eating Well and Staying Healthy – Tune in for Jill’s Interview with Dr. T. Colin Campbell December 28, 2015
- Eating Well And Staying Healthy – How NOT to Gain Weight over the Holidays! December 14, 2015
- Eating Well and Staying Healthy -THANKSGIVING: The Vegetarians are Coming! November 23, 2015
- Eating Well and Staying Healthy – Are we Eating like a Science Experiment? November 9, 2015