Host: Jim Duke
If you are gay or bisexual, how do you manage the ins and outs of coming out? How do you navigate the world of online dating? Where do you go to find the kind of relationships you want, regardless of your age? How do you navigate through the transitions of social acceptance in a rapidly changing society? Whether it’s for you, a friend or a family member, being gay is about finding resources, information and support. With insight, maturity, great guests and a healthy dose of humor, let Jim Duke be your guide through today’s gay world.
Online dating has become one of the most utilized methods for meeting people. What makes for effective online dating? What are some of the pitfalls and what leads to online success? Can you find real love in the online dating world or is it just a place for hook ups and shallow connections? Your host, Jim Duke, is in … Read more about this episode...
Previous EpisodesView All Past Episodes of Guide for Gay Living
Guide for Gay Living with Jim Duke
Jim Duke is the founder and President of Guide For Gay Men® LLC, which provides professional coaching and consultation services on issues of coming out, relationships, love, sex, aging and the many transitions of gay life. As a consultant and speaker, Jim works with individuals, groups and businesses involved with issues related to the LGBT community. Jim is currently working on a three-part series of “guides” on the subject of dating and relationship issues for gay men.
Jim holds a Master’s Degree in Clinical Social Work and was a therapist for several years before migrating to corporate education and training. He worked for Fortune 500 companies in the areas of supervisory and leadership development, quality improvement, coaching, individual performance achievement and diversity issues. Fulfilling a personal goal with his then partner, he left Corporate America to own and operate one of the top ranked gay hotels in Palm Springs, CA for almost 14 years.
Jim has been out and open for most of his adult life, and has dealt with the discrimination and difficulties, challenges and joys of being a gay man in society. He’s been in a successful long term relationship, knows what it like to terminate one and how to cope with the sometimes amusing and occasionally painful experience of being in the dating scene. He is also the gay son who takes on the role of caregiver to an aging parent — a challenging role that is not uncommon for gay men. Using his past professional and personal experience, Jim created Guide For Gay Men® as a way to help other’s live open, accepting and authentic lives. He has completed an extensive program for Certified Professional Coaches (CPC) with the International Coaching Academy (ICA), a program accredited by the International Coaching Federation (ICF).
Jim finds the kernel of humor in most situations and has a natural curiosity about people — how we think, the choices we make, and how we get through each day. Rather than judging others, he relies on his strength to look at an issue from a variety of different perspectives. Jim believes that everything in life is about choices, and that every choice we make has both gains and costs. Every day we have the opportunity to make different decisions and take different actions that support our authentic selves. Living our lives counter to who we really are is like trying to swim against the tide.
- Guide for Gay Living - Tricks and Tips for Online Dating June 17, 2013
- Guide for Gay Living - Female Author of M/M Romance Novels June 10, 2013
- Guide for Gay Living - Drake Jensen and Sean Morin: Background Music June 3, 2013
- Guide for Gay Living - Rob Howard: Prime Timers and Gay Aging May 27, 2013
- Guide for Gay Living - Kergan Edwards-Stout: Evolution of a Gay Life May 20, 2013
- Guide for Gay Living - Marketing to the LGBT Community May 13, 2013
- Guide for Gay Living - Gay Health Issues May 6, 2013
- Guide for Gay Living - Labeling Sexuality: Advantages and Limitations April 29, 2013
- Guide for Gay Living - What Does It Mean To Be A Man? April 22, 2013
- Guide for Gay Living - LGBT Youth and One Boy's Shadow April 15, 2013
- Guide for Gay Living - Sexual Awareness: Becoming Conscious of our Gay-ness April 8, 2013
- Guide for Gay Living - Living a Healthy Gay Lifestyle April 1, 2013