Get out your trowel and gloves, put on a pair of jeans, and get ready to dig in. Whether you’re a beginner or an everyday gardener, Helen helps make your garden bloom beautifully, and your vegetables taste like heaven! Get advice, suggestions and fun with information about plants, design, pests, wildlife, sustainability, and maintenance – all you need to reach your full gardening potential. Come take a walk with Helen, and see how your garden grows!
My guest today is Debra Lee Baldwin, author of Designing with Succulents , Succulent Container Gardens. Both of these wonderful books are bestsellers. Debra will be talking about her latest book, Succulent Container Gardens and how we can add these beauties to our gardens. During the show, we will also be giving away a copy […]
Previous EpisodesView All Past Episodes of Gardening With Confidence™
Gardening With Confidence™ With Helen Yoest
Helen Yoest is a garden coach, writer and speaker through her business Gardening With Confidence™. Helen has found that many garden muses have been born out of her ½ acre wildlife habitat, located in Raleigh, NC.
In her spare time, Helen travels extensively, visiting gardens as a field editor for Better Homes and Gardens and Country Garden magazine. She is also a past contributor to Fine Gardening on-line magazine, and her work has also been seen in many other garden and style magazines. Helen also edits and publishes a popular garden coaching blog called Gardening With Confidence™.
An active volunteer with the Garden Conservancy, Helen leads Open Days tours in the Raleigh area for many years and serves on the board of the JC Raulston Arboretum at NC State University.
She was recently named contributor to the National Wildlife Magazine published by the National Wildlife Federation.
Helen has a B.S. in Environmental Engineering and Science from Old Dominion and an M.S. from Brunel University in London.
When she is not in her garden – or writing about gardening – Helen spends time with her husband and three kids.
Subscribe by RSS
- Gardening With Confidence – Debra Lee Baldwin My guest today is Debra Lee Baldwin, author of Designing with Succulents , Succulent Container Gardens. Both of these wonderful books are bestsellers. Debra will be talking about her latest book, Succulent Container Gardens and how we can add these beauties to our gardens. During the show, we will also be giving away a copy of her ...
- Gardening With Confidence – My guest this week is James Baggett, editor of Country Garden Magazine We will be talking about Country Garden magazine and James’ perspective on what makes a country garden. James has been a garden editor and writer for more than 17 years with Perennials and Nature’s Garden magazines for Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications, as well as the former executive editor of Country Living ...
- Gardening With Confidence – Proven Winners Join us as we hear from Danielle Ernest with Proven Winners talk about new annuals and perennials introduced this year, what we can expect expect for 2011 and where we can buy Proven winner plants.
- Gardening With Confidence – Kathy Purdy joins us this week to talk about Colchicums. Fortunately for me, this very underused bulb has found its way into my southern garden Kathy shares tips on growing colchicums in your garden. It’s just perfect for my fall garden, where I’m always searching for great plants to extend the fall season.
- Gardening With Confidence – EcoSystem Gardening with Carole Brown Carole Brown, founder of EcoSystemGardening.com shares with us her definition of ecosystem gardening and suggests 5 things we can start doing today to begin our ecosystem garden at home.
- Gardening With Confidence – Seven Must-have Tools for Planting a Vegetable Garden Chris Sabbarese joins us from Corona Tools to talk about the 7 must-have garden tools for planting a vegetable garden. The discussion goes also goes into how these same tools are used in the ornamental garden plus discussing my favorite gardening tool. Who knew tools could be so cool?
- Gardening With Confidence – Learn tips to photographing your garden at home from Barbara Pintozzi, garden blogger at Mr. McGregor’s Daughter When taking photos of your garden, consider the angle, the light, power lines, and other distractions that you walk by everyday. In person, your mind makes a correction for you. Behind the lens, you can make these corrections; by doing so, you learn to capture your garden’s most flattering side.
- Gardening With Confidence – Energy wise landscape design Author of Energy-Wise Landscape Design is my guest sharing tips and information about conserving energy in the landscape. From placement of trees to the use of mulch, cooling the property in the summertime while allowing warm in the winter.
- Gardening With Confidence – Composting Guest Chris McLaughlin shares with us everything you need to know about composting, or at least the bits we got to in this lively discussion. Learn how to turn your organic waste material into black gold as Chris takes us through the various types of composting. Whether in a townhouse or living on ...
- Gardening With Confidence – Hydrangeas Hydrangeas make wonderful hedges, specimens and cut flowers to enjoy indoors. There is just something magically about a big pink, blue, or white flowerhead welcoming us in the garden. Special guest, Tim Wood, plant breeder with Spring Meadow Nursery, talks about hydrangeas in general, new introductions and even what’s being developed for the ...
- Gardening With Confidence – Chlorophyll in His Veins – J. C. Raulston Horticultural Ambassador, by Bobby J. Ward In the 1970s, J.C. Raulston noticed that America was landscaped with the same 40 plants and set about to change that. Learn how this one man changed the face of our landscapes today by exposing us to newer and different plants. The late Dr. Raulston, professor at NC State University, or J.C., as he ...
- Gardening With Confidence – Rhapsody in Green Roy C. Dicks Discover the writings of Beverley Nichols through excerpts in Roy C. Dicks book Rhapsody in Green. Nichols, a prolific writer on many topics; topics that came and went during his career, yet Nichols wrote about his garden during his entire gardening life. Nichols work, and organized by Dicks, allows us a peak into ...
- Gardening With Confidence – Vegetable Gardening Anytime is a good time to plant vegetables among your ornamentals or to carve out a little patch of land for your own little vegetable bed. Hear advice from my guest, Robin Ripley, co-author of Grocery Gardening. Robin also shares some easy recipes and offers tips of growing vegetables.
- Gardening With Confidence – Wildlife Friendly Welcome to Gardening With Confidence™, a WebTalk radio show for the everyday gardener, where everyday something fun can be done in the garden. My introductory show introduces my garden, Helen’s Haven™, a certified wildlife habitat on a half acre, suburban lot, in Raleigh, NC, My guest is Kelley Sensor, editor with ...