Scientific inquiry into dogs has grown exponentially since the 1950s. This research is vast and incorporates animal behavior (ethology), psychology, zoology, archaeology and genetics, among other fields.
In this show, we’ll meet Julie Hecht, a canine behavioral researcher and science writer who manages the Alexandra Horowitz’s Dog Cognition Laboratory at Barnard College in New York City. Julie and her co-workers … Read more about this episode...
Previous EpisodesView All Past Episodes of The Dog Connection
The Dog Connection with Annie Brody
I’m a Dog Person. I love dogs. Not just the two who live with me currently but really, All Dogs.While I knew this in my heart as a toddler who rattled my stroller at every passing pup, I didn’t realize the extent of what dogs meant to my life until I adopted my first dog, when I was a “mature” adult. I named him Hero and fell in love with him in a way I had never imagined.Everything Hero did fascinate me. I wanted to understand what was going on beneath those deep soulful brown eyes—I wanted to know how he experienced the world from his point of view as a canine.Thus, twenty years ago, I embarked on my journey of dog discovery. I wasn’t interested particularly in “training” Hero as much as “communicating” with him. I wasn’t interested in competing with him in dog sports; I just wanted to find a way to play together.I read every book on dogs, looking for help to unravel the mystery of this interspecies relationship. I took workshops, went to conferences. But mostly it was Hero who taught me. I just had to pay attention, take off my “human” hat, and observe him closely as a kindred spirit. We didn’t have a common language but we had a mutual feeling and that’s what counted.My new radio show, The Dog Connection will explore the marvelous mystery of this incredible, ever-evolving bond between humans and canines. It’s for people like you and me who love dogs and want to understand them fully so both the dogs and us can enjoy the best possible relationship.
- The Dog Connection – The science behind dogs and the dog-human relationship August 12, 2013
- The Dog Connection – New Ways to Train Your Dog that Build Your Relationship July 22, 2013
- The Dog Connection – Twenty-first century Working Dogs May 14, 2013
- The Dog Connection – What’s it like to be a dog? March 11, 2013
- The Dog Connection – Doglish as a Second Language February 25, 2013
- The Dog Connection – “Sit, Stay, Poop!” Is Not a Way to Build A Relationship January 10, 2013
- The Dog Connection – Raising Kids, Raising Dogs: What’s love got to do with it? December 24, 2012
- The Dog Connection – Canine Water Sports: A fun “level playing field” for you and your dog December 10, 2012
- The Dog Connection – How Music Can Improve Your Dog’s Life and Your Relationsh December 3, 2012
- The Dog Connection – Fact & Fallacies about Vaccinations & Nutrition from Integrative Veterinarian, Donna M. Raditic, DVM, VCA November 12, 2012