Host: Chiao Kee Lim
It’s not just about bicycle helmets and a proper breakfast any more. What we learned about parenting from our parents’ generation is no longer sufficient when it comes to raising children in today’s social, technological and economic landscape. The traditional family unit is increasingly being replaced by blended families and single parents doing it on their own. With the advent of mobile devices, social media and online gaming, protecting our children now must include almost a digital force field. The conventional educational system is no longer adequate to prepare the younger generation for the future economy. Nurturing our kids through this complex society takes know-how and support. On Today’s Parents we’ll talk about these issues and delve into age old parenting questions and tips for a happy, healthy child.
What do you teach your kids at home? Do you teach them about manners and values? Just as importantly, do you teach them about life skills? If so, what are they? In this week’s show, host Chiao Kee Lim speaks with Stepmom Coach, Claudette Chenevert about the important skills every parent needs to teach their […]
Previous EpisodesView All Past Episodes of Today's Parents
Today’s Parents with Chiao Kee Lim
Chiao Kee is a three-time award-winning author. She is also the Founder of The Dirty 30s Club – a blog that promotes self awareness, personal empowerment and spirituality through stories and personal reflection.
Born and raised in Malaysia to parents of Chinese ancestry, she moved to Australia on her own when she was 19 with a scholarship to go to university. She graduated with a Bachelor of Commerce from the University of Melbourne, followed by a Masters of Commerce in Advanced Finance from the University of New South Wales before she was 23. This was followed by a successful career as a Management Consultant.
Despite her stellar academic achievements and successful career, Chiao Kee battled with her difficult childhood growing up in a traditional strict Asian household. In her attempt to reconcile with her past and heal from her difficult childhood, she went on a journey of personal growth and spent five years learning from world experts in the areas of personal development and the psychology of peak performance. In doing so, she made peace with her difficult upbringing and became inspired to share the lessons she learned with others.
After spending seven years of her career as a Management Consultant working with large corporations and government departments improving their performance, she left her consulting career to follow her calling in life to teach and inspire others to be positive examples for their families and communities. She is an ardent advocate for positive parenting and her upcoming book “What My Mother Never Taught Me-The 7 Things I Wish I Had Known About Finding Happiness” is a memoir with a message containing the lessons she learned during her journey of self-healing and growth.
Chiao Kee is a voracious reader and an avid blogger. She is also an accredited trainer and facilitator. To find out more about her, visit her website at http://chiaokeelim.com.
- Today’s Parents – Five Skills Every Parent Should Teach Their Children June 24, 2013
- Today’s Parents – How To Teach Your Kids About Money June 10, 2013
- Today’s Parents – Parents’ Role in Children’s Academic & Extra-Curricular Activities May 27, 2013
- Today’s Parents – How To Motivate Your Kids For School and Beyond May 12, 2013
- Today’s Parents – How To Teach Your Kids To Cope With Frustration May 6, 2013
- Today’s Parents – What Role Grandparents Play In Your Child’s Life April 15, 2013
- Today’s Parents – Three Common Mistakes Parents Make With Teenagers March 25, 2013
- Today’s Parents – How To Raise A Stepfamily March 4, 2013
- Today’s Parents – How To Parent When You Have More Than One Child February 25, 2013
- Today’s Parents – How To Make Learning Easy & Enjoyable For Your Kids February 18, 2013
- Today’s Parents – What We Need To Teach Our Sons February 11, 2013
- Today’s Parents – What We Need To Teach Our Daughters February 4, 2013
- Today’s Parents – Parenting Girls vs Boys – What’s The Difference? January 28, 2013
- Today’s Parents – How Your Marriage or Relationship Affects Your Children January 21, 2013
- Today’s Parents – Five Misconceptions Parents Have About Their Children’s Ability January 14, 2013
- Today’s Parents – Ten Things You Can Do To Be Better Parents To Your Children – Part 2 January 7, 2013
- Today’s Parents – Ten Things You Should Do To Be Better Parents To Your Children December 31, 2012
- Today’s Parents – How Your Relationship With Your In-Laws Affect Your Marriage December 24, 2012
- Today’s Parents – Three Things Your Children Can Learn From You This Christmas December 17, 2012
- Today’s Parents – What Parents Do That Create Entitled Children December 10, 2012
- Today’s Parents – What To Do When Your Kid Pushes Your Hot Buttons December 3, 2012
- Today’s Parents – How To Make Your Relationship Indestructible November 26, 2012
- Today’s Parents – What To Do To Support Your Child’s Brain Development November 12, 2012
- Today’s Parents – How To Be Protective of Your Children Without Being A Helicopter Parent November 5, 2012
- Today’s Parents – How To Read The Parenting Manual That Comes With Your Child October 28, 2012
- Today’s Parents – How To Discipline Your Children Without Damaging Them October 22, 2012
- Today’s Parents – Things You Say That Can Screw Up Your Child October 15, 2012
- Today’s Parents – Is Your Child Safe Online? October 8, 2012
- Today’s Parents – How to Protect Your Child from Inappropriate Touching and Sexual Abuse October 1, 2012
- Today’s Parents – How To Get Your Family Eating Healthier And Be More Active September 24, 2012
- Today’s Parents – What Every Parent Needs To Know September 16, 2012
- Today’s Parents – How To Put The Romance Back Into Your Relationship September 9, 2012
- Today’s Parents – How To Bully Proof Your Kids September 2, 2012
- Today’s Parents – How To Get Your Kids To Listen To You August 29, 2012
- Today’s Parents – How To Be A Parent In Today’s Hectic World August 19, 2012