Host: Bonnie Compton APRN, BC, CPNP
Come gather with other Moms and share your parenting journey. You’ll feel supported and learn about parenting from the heart. Dads, we’d love to have you join us and share your perspective on parenting also. You’ll hear from various experts in the field, and although I believe that you are your own child’s expert, you will gain insight into ways to nurture your child and family. You’ll also hear from Moms and Dads as they share their own parenting experiences. It does take a village to raise a child…so let’s gather and support one another. Sound good? Hope you’ll join us…what are you waiting for?
I remember taking many photos of my kids when they were younger. I also remember trying to capture that special moment, but the images were never quite as good as I’d hope. Often the lighting was terrible, the photo was washed out, or it just didn’t represent the special moment I was trying to capture.
As much as I love … Read more about this episode...
Wholehearted Parenting with Bonnie Compton APRN, BC, CPNP
Bonnie is often referred to as “Bonnie, Your Parent Coach”. Throughout her 25 year career as a pediatric nurse practitioner, child & adolescent therapist and parent coach, Bonnie has had the opportunity to glimpse into the lives of parents and children. What she has learned is that parents want to be better parents, but often don’t know how to get there. She has also witnessed many children expressing frustration with themselves and their family…children wishing that they could be a “good” kid so that their parents and family would love them. Children have shared that if they were a better child, their family would be okay. Based on her time spent with children, Bonnie has been able to share children’s perspectives with their parents. Parents have reported that this information has been invaluable to their relationship with their child.
Bonnie reflects upon her work…
“I am passionate about helping parents become more mindful and aware in their parenting. I have witnessed a profound impact on relationships between parents and their children when parents learn to shift their focus from their child’s behavior to their relationship with their child. Parents learn very quickly to respond rather than react to their child. They are then able to focus less on behavioral issues and more on time spent with their child. By becoming more proactive in their parenting, they begin to find more joy in their relationship with their child.”
Bonnie is a child behavioral expert, in her client work she helps parents and children with a variety of issues, including ADHD, temper tantrums, oppositional behavior, sleep issues, toilet training, anxiety, difficulty listening or following directions, childhood fears, school avoidance, social anxiety, sadness, anger management, and sibling rivalry.
Bonnie has surrounded herself with children all her life. From her love of “mothering” neighborhood children, to her first career as a babysitter, Bonnie went on to become a Mom of four children and a grandmother. She’ll be the first to tell you that being a Mom is the best thing that happened to her but has been difficult at times. She has perspective and is able to share this with parents.
Bonnie is still learning to navigate her own mothering journey, through her adult children. She believes for all parents, as stated by Maya Angelou, “When you know better, you do better”. Bonnie feels that we all have an opportunity and responsibility to create loving relationships with our children. She reminds parents, that messages they send their children do count. Children do take their childhood messages into their adult life. Bonnie believes that there will be a ripple effect and the world will be transformed, as children begin to take their healthy childhood learnings and loving messages out into the world.
Bonnie has appeared on T.V. radio, and created a series of parenting videos on the Life Guidance Series. She actively blogs and is currently writing a book/journal for Moms: “Being a Mom Is A Wake-Up Call…To Your Life”, scheduled to come out this fall.
Bonnie offers workshops, tele-classes and retreats, all designed to help empower parents, in both their role as a parent and as an individual.
Currently Bonnie has a private practice at the Life Guidance Center in Charleston, SC. She also offers parenting coaching in person or over the phone.
- Wholehearted Parenting – CAPTURING THE MOMENT…PHOTOGRAPHING YOUR CHILDREN March 10, 2014
- Wholehearted Parenting – SELF-CARE IS NOT SELFISH… NURTURE YOURSELF SO THAT YOU CAN NURTURE YOUR FAMILY March 3, 2014
- Wholehearted Parenting – CONSEQUENCES…THEY HAPPEN NATURALLY, IF WE LET THEM February 24, 2014
- Wholehearted Parenting – RAISING YOUR CHILDREN…LESSONS FROM MOTHERS OF THE BRIGHTEST AND BEST February 17, 2014
- Wholehearted Parenting – BE OPEN TO POSSIBILITIES…AND CONSCIOUSLY CREATE YOUR LIFE February 10, 2014
- Wholehearted Parenting – RAISING A HEALTHY EATER February 3, 2014
- Wholehearted Parenting – MOTHERING AND DAUGHTERING DURING THE TEEN YEARS…THERE IS A BETTER WAY January 27, 2014
- Wholehearted Parenting – WHY DISCIPLINE DOESN’T WORK…AND WHAT DOES January 20, 2014
- Wholehearted Parenting – CREATING YOUR EXTRAORDINARY FAMILY LIFE…WITH INTENTION January 13, 2014
- Wholehearted Parenting – TEACHING KIDS TO “USE THEIR BRAIN”…CUTTING EDGE BRAIN BASED THERAPY January 6, 2014
- Wholehearted Parenting – CREATING PEACE WITHIN OURSELVES…OUR FAMILY…AND OUR WORLD December 30, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – Who’s Melting Down Now? December 23, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – MOMPRENEUERS…MOMS RUNNING THEIR OWN BUSINESS ALONG WITH THE BUSINESS OF MOTHERHOOD December 16, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – THE ART OF RAISING A RESPONSIBLE TEEN…KNOWING WHEN TO STEP IN OR STEP ASIDE December 9, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – CREATING A HAPPY, STRESS FREE HOLIDAY…IS IT POSSIBLE? December 1, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – IS YOUR CHILD BECOMING FINANCIALLY RESPONSBLE? November 25, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – KEEPING OUR CHILDREN SAFE…WE CAN ALL PLAY A PART November 18, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – CHILDREN’S LEARNING PROBLEMS COULD BE VISION PROBLEMS November 11, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – OCD…IS IT ROBBING YOU OF YOUR PARENTING JOY? November 4, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – A NEWBORN IN THE HOUSE? CELEBRITY “BABY NURTURER”, HELEN MOON, SHARES HER TIPS TO HELP BOTH YOU AND YOUR BABY! October 28, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – ANXIOUS KIDS…ANXIOUS PARENTS October 21, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – CONSCIOUS DISCIPLINE October 14, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – GOOGLE EDUCATES CHILDREN…BOTH IN AND OUT OF THE CLASSROOM October 7, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – HORSES HELPING CHILDREN…EQUINE THERAPY AT WORK September 30, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – WHEN CHILDREN GRIEVE…HOW WE CAN HELP THEM September 23, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – SPREADING JOY…ONE TOY AT A TIME September 16, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – BUT IF I DON’T YELL AT MY KIDS, WILL THEY LISTEN TO ME? September 9, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – TEENS AND TECHNOLOGY…WHAT’S A PARENT TO DO? September 2, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – KID’S SPORTS…WHO’S SPORT IS IT ANYWAY? August 26, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – CHASING A CURE…A MOM’S FIGHT FOR HER SON August 19, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – Postpartum Depression is More Than Just the Baby Blues August 12, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – Virtual World Schools…The Future Of Education Is Now August 5, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – Does Conscious Parenting Change the Way We Parent? July 29, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – Can We Just Slow Down a Bit? July 22, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – Helping Children Nurture our Earth July 15, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – Divorce…Where Do the Kids Belong? July 8, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – Bedwetting…the Best Kept Secret July 1, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – Exercise…Is it Work or is it Play? June 24, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – “How to Keep Your Sense of Humor as a Parent, and Not Lose Your Mind” June 17, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – Play is the Work of Children…The Ins and Outs of Play Therapy June 10, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – AN AUTHENTIC MARRIAGE…A GIFT NOT ONLY TO YOURSELVES, BUT TO YOUR CHILDREN June 3, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – A Mom Listens to Her Heart…and Changes Her Career for Herself and Her Family May 27, 2013
- Wholehearted Parenting – MOTHERHOOD…THE HONEST VERSION May 20, 2013