Host: Jonathan Bender
Running a successful business in many ways parallels the dynamics of a game-winning team. Sit in with the Courtside CEO, Jonathan Bender for the moments of truth and epiphanies that turned the light on for his guests – all leaders from the world of business, sports and health. He’ll roll back the stone on the secret struggles and challenges and their most common bond, faith in a higher power: God. For the seasoned executive or a budding entrepreneur it is never too late for a renaissance. See it, Dream it, Believe it, and Be it!
Most coaches and trainers in sports today expect their athletes to be warriors and to lay it all on the line and leave everything you have on the field . The up side of playing through exhaustion and injuries is that your viewed as a overcomer , a winner, a guy you would want to […]
Previous EpisodesView All Past Episodes of The Courtside CEO
The Courtside CEO with Jonathan Bender
Jonathan Rene Bender, from Picayune, Mississippi, is one of the nation’s top-ranked high school basketball players earning the prestigious John R. Wooden MVP Award during the 1999 McDonald’s High School All-American Game. Pulling down 10 rebounds and scoring 31 points, Jonathan broke Michael Jordan’s scoring record set in 1981 and continues to reign as the game’s all-time leading scorer.
Selected fifth overall in the 1999 NBA Draft by the Toronto Raptors, the 17-year old was acquired by the Indiana Pacers and went on to become the first high school player draftee to score in double figures in their NBA debut. Touted as the NBA’s next Magic Johnson or Michael Jordan, Jonathan was disappointedly pushed into an early exit from professional basketball after seven seasons of limited playing time due to chronic knee pain believed to be the result of an abnormal growth spurt.
Having faced adversity earlier in life, Jonathan accepted his new challenge head on and, through hard work and determination, gained a stronger sense of confidence. He quickly learned to apply what had made him successful on the court to life off the court and, having always marched to the beat of a different drummer (at 7’0”, he was proficient at all five basketball playing positions), Jonathan combined a genuine passion for helping others with his “avant-garde” approach to life to quickly become a force to be reckoned with off the court as well.
A self-made entrepreneur, Jonathan’s efforts began when he organized and funded a caravan of semi-trucks transporting non-perishable food, drinking water, clothing and emergency supplies from Indianapolis to the Gulf Region in 2005. Soon after, he established Jonathan Bender Enterprises (JBE) to help improve the housing situation for low-income families in New Orleans in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Purchasing 38 flood-damaged properties in New Orleans’ 9th Ward through his real estate company, J Davis Reality, another division of JBE, Kingdom Homes, restored each property installing hardwood floors, granite countertops, oak cabinets and energy efficient appliances. A third division, Blue Package Management, manages all JBE rental properties.
Since then, The Jonathan Bender Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization, was founded to be able to work with students to help them identify their gifts, realize their passions, and explore choices available to lead a productive and successful life after graduating high school. Jonathan plans to expand his efforts into Picayune, Indianapolis, Houston, Atlanta, and New York in the near future.
After almost four years, on December 13, 2009, Jonathan signed with the NBA’s New York Knicks and made his official NBA comeback on December 18 against the L.A. Clippers, Jonathan clocked 14 minutes and made a favorable impression on sports fans and media worldwide with 9 points, 2 blocked shots, and 1 assist. He has since retired but on his own terms.
Jonathan has created a coaching and mentoring program in which he is “The Choices Coach” and works with high school athletes, college athletes and professional athletes to empower them with the knowledge, focus, accountability and training needed to achieve consistent results, stay on top of the game, anticipate unforeseen obstacles and apply strategy and skill acquisition to accomplish the desired goals.
Jonathan is an avid golfer, and enjoys playing pool and working out. He has a patent pending on JB3 fitness equipment he invented and largely credits for the rehabilitation of his knees and successful NBA comeback. Supported by research of the Purdue University Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, plans are to have Bender Bands available to the public by end of 2011.
- The Courtside CEO – The Good And The Bad Of Playing Through Injuries January 14, 2013
- The Courtside CEO – The Cause and Remedy Of Depression During The Holidays (Segment 2) January 7, 2013
- The Courtside CEO – The cause and remedy of depression during the holidays December 3, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Stopping The Financial Bleeding For Athletes November 19, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – How The Outcome Of The Election Effects The Future Of America November 12, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Life Transformed November 5, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – The Art Of The Debate October 29, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – The Growing Success Of Home Based Businesses In America October 22, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – The Life Of a Professional Athlete – Segment #2 October 15, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – The Life oF a Professional Athlete October 7, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Successful Tips On Acquiring Investment Property October 1, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Marketing Tactics For A Down Economy September 24, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Surviving While Downsizing Your Business September 16, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Turn It Down September 9, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Don’t Bring It To Work September 2, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Tips On Repairing Your Credit August 26, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Clean The Mess & Ease The Stress August 19, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Spark Your Inner Designer August 12, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Discovering The Inner Strength To Excel August 5, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Helpful Tips For Tax Time July 30, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – From Good to Great July 23, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Surviving as a Start-up July 16, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – The Courtside CEO July 9, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Producing results for clients while growing your Public Relations Empire July 2, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – The Leader Within June 25, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Racing to Success June 21, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Overcoming the mental and physical effects of thyroid cancer June 11, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Creating Champions In Sports June 4, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Creating Uncommon Success with Multi-Level Marketing May 28, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Excel in Sales May 21, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Building Blocks of a Successful Non-Profit Organization May 14, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – The Business of Performance Training April 30, 2012
- The Courtside CEO – Networking for Success April 23, 2012