From Military to Mainstream – General Negotiating Techniques and Understanding the Total Compensation Package
You’ve been offered the job of your dreams and a dollar figure is put in front of you. Now what? Do you immediately say “Yes”? Mark Herschberg says “No”. You need to ask “Why are you offering me that figure? How did you arrive at that number?” You may be surprised at the answer you receive. This is the first step in negotiating your total compensation package.
For those of you leaving the military you may have never had to negotiate your salary. My guest Mark Herschberg has been teaching career management at MIT for over 10 years and more recently SUNY. Included in this are negotiation techniques for compensation.
Some of the topics he shared in this interview are:
1. Understanding the total compensations – not just salary, but 401K, health, transportation subsidies,
2. Stock options
3. How to respond to the question “what did you make at your last job”
4. How to make a proposal or counter offer
5. General negotiation techniques
6. How to research compensation
7. Lifetime compensation
This is one episode you won’t to miss!