Ripley Radio – Sword Swallowing, Ripley’s Historic Cartoon & 101 Marriages
Believe It or Not! David and Lauren Blair of Nashville, Tenn., have married each other 101 times! The couple joins Ripley Radio this week to discuss their love for each other and share some of the weirder vow exchanges the two have made: ranging from several at Hard Rock Cafes to the time Elvis married them in Las Vegas!
Dan Meyer, president of the Sword Swallowers Assoc. International, stops by to talk about the upcoming World Sword Swallowers Day on Feb. 25, to be held at Ripley’s Believe It or Not! odditoriums around the world. He notes that this year’s event will be the largest ever, with more than 30 sword swallowers “dropping solid steel” at 10 different Ripley’s.
More absolutely weird and bizarre things discussed this week:
• Sideshow historian James Taylor tells us about one of the greatest female sword swallowers ever – Lady Sandra Reed – in his Jackpotting with James Taylor segment.
• Sam Gennawey reveals that Florida’s Walt Disney World would have been a totally different place to visit if Walt Disney had lived long enough to witness its construction. In his new book, “Walt and the Promise of Progress City,” Gennawey notes that the mega-attraction would have been more of an urban community than a theme park.
• The mysterious Montauk Project is discussed by Fran Capo, the author of Myths and Mysteries of New York.
• John Graziano, Ripley’s official cartoonist, tells us about the Ripley’s Believe It or Not! cartoon that has run continuously since 1918. While still carried in nearly 200 newspapers worldwide, the cartoon now can be delivered to a person’s email box daily- for free – from GoComics.com.
• Intern Abby discovers the Bunny Museum in Pasadena, Calif.
• Angela gives examples of how studying baby names of newborns today actually reveal cultural trends.
• Ralf tells us about an internet café where a games player was discovered dead in front of the computer screen – nine hours AFTER he died!
Ripley’s Daily Cartoon – http://www.gocomics.com/ripleysbelieveitornot
Bunny Museum – http://www.thebunnymuseum.com/
Baby Names – http://www.smdp.com/Articles-c-2011-09-06-72502.113116-Baby-names-reveal-cultural-trends.html
World Sword Swallowers Day – http://www.ripleysnewsroom.com/swordswallowday2012
Sam Gennawey – http://ayefourpublishing.com/walt-and-the-promise-of-progress-city
Fran Capo – http://francapo.com/
James Taylor – http://www.shockedandamazed.com/