Ripley Radio – The Boogeyman of New Jersey & The Tennessee Giant
A nun who gives messages and pigs who serve as ball boys are just a few of the weird and wonderful promotions that baseball club owner and promoter Mike Veeck has propagated over the years. The King of Baseball Promotion drops by Ripley Radio this week and tells us what unusual activities he has planned for his ballparks in 2012.
An incredible tale of killing, deception and avoidance of the law is the story behind Fran Capo’s segment about the Boogeyman of Westfield. She wrote about him in her book Myths and Mysteries of New Jersey, and she recounts the amazingly grisly story to our listeners this week.
Additional Crazy, Bizarre and Unusual Stories Featured This Week on Ripley Radio:
• One of the creepiest looking insects ever thought to be extinct but wasn’t is commonly being called a “tree lobster,” and while the story of its survival – down to only 5 creatures at one time – is uplifting, its looks aren’t very conducive to nightmare free nights! Angela fills us in on all the why’s and where’s.
• Miles Darden, The Tennessee Giant, is probably the largest man to ever live! Marc Harzman shares the story of the big guy.
• In Jackpotting with James Taylor, the historian tells the tale of the man with three eyes, Bill Durks.
• For nearly a century, mysterious lights have appeared on Brown Mountain, near Raleigh, N.C., and nobody during those 100 years has been able to figure out what they are or where they come from. Return Intern Abby provides an insight into the phenomena and explains how the little community is finally starting to cash in on it.
• Ralf reports on a “dumb criminal” who was caught with several items, including a 19-inch flat screen TV, in his pants as he was leaving Wal-Mart.
Mysterious Lights – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/26/brown-mountain-lights-nc_n_1302204.html?ref=weird-news
Marc Hartzman – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/marc-hartzman/miles-darden-worlds-largest-man_b_1232821.html
Fran Capo – http://francapo.com/
Tree Lobsters – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2108736/Extinct-tree-lobster-alive-clinging-Pacific-rock-taller-Empire-State-Building.html
Mike Veeck – http://funisgood.net/mike/