Today’s Parents – How Your Relationship With Your In-Laws Affect Your Marriage
A study by the University of Michigan of 373 couples over a 26-year period reveals that:
• Men who are close to their in-laws are 20% less likely to have a divorce; and
• Women who are close to their in-laws are 20% more likely to have a divorce.
Why is there an opposite effect on the longevity of marriage between men and women when it comes to their relationship with their in-laws?
How is having a close relationship with your in-laws helping or hurting your marriage?
In this week’s show, host Chiao Kee Lim speaks to the professor behind this study, Dr. Terri Orbuch about all things in-laws related. Whether you are a daughter-in-law, a son-in-law, a mother-in-law or a father-in-law, this show is for you. Dr. Terri is a psychologist, a marriage & family therapist and the author of the book Finding Love Again: 6 Steps To A New & Happy Relationship and she will be sharing:
• Why women who are close to their in-laws are more likely to have a divorce;
• Why men who are close to their in-laws are less likely to have a divorce;
• Signs you may be too close to your in-laws and how that affects your marriage;
• What to do to set boundaries in your relationship with your in-laws;
• What not to do in your relationship with your in-laws.
To find out more about Dr. Terri Orbuch and to connect with her, visit her website at http://www.drterrithelovedoctor.com.
To connect with host Chiao Kee Lim, visit Today’s Parents blog at http://todaysparentsblog.com.